24 June 2011

Social Security visit, confusing email demand, and processing fee

So on Friday my boss and I went to the local branch of the social security. I need to register with them a month before I begin working legally for the school. We filled out the form necessary, though I don't know which one, as they gave it to my boss, and he signed it and I signed it. Information was standard: address, name, NIE, some corporate stuff, etc. We get our number called and we go sit down. The guy is a dick. His attitude, which I miss completely, sets my boss off. But he cools down, as he had experience with government flunkies. He copies my passport, he takes the form, signs and stamps it, and tells us we have to come back for an appointment. Why? Isn't it done? Nope. I need a receipt of this visit and, I guess, authorization to work legally. So make an appointment for Monday.

Monday. We hustle to the social security office because we are of course working and take hours off for this. And I am nervous because this is the man who was nice enough to give me a contract (without which the Arraigo is impossible) and so I want him happy. He's not happy. And he gets less happy. The guy is not there. And even worse he left no notice that we had an appointment. We have a ticket with his signature. Bu the paperwork is nowhere in the computer or in the office. Of course we don't know his name. But we know his desk, so we send her over there to search. 10 minutes! No paperwork. Can't you do it? You're here. No he started it. W need to finish it. Now my boss wonders if this guy did this on purpose. He deliberately didn't put my name on the paperwork. Now I'm unhappy! I don't need this at the last moment, at the last step, after step actually. I just need a damned Identification card. So I guess we prevail on her, and she starts doing her thing with the computer. I give her my social security number for 3 years ago and the paper from the ministry of interior. She then print out two documents for me. And then proceeds to tell me all the things I need to do before my meeting. Things which I know! One of them is this meeting with her, for god's sake. I know what I need to do, and want to get to it.

Next, I need to pay for the processing of the identification card. 18€. You can pay it at any bank, but the kicker is that you need to have a specific form filled out. Of course the ministry's letter says nothing about at directly. It does reference a form number but, let's be real, that doesn't tell me anything. I was lucky I had a friend who had to do this before and let me know I needed this form. But before that could be done...

I noticed a strange request on the ministry's letter. They wanted me to fax or email the letter to them along with my name, my NIE and the date of my authorization (presumably at the top of document). Thankfully I have a PDF already of the document, as my mother wanted to double check my reading (and my friends readings). So I am confused. You want me to send to you the letter you sent me. Along with information that is in your computers. And information that you in fact told me. Really? I had two friends reread it for me. My Spanish could be at fault. And no. It wasn't. And they we as confused as I was. But I sent the information and the PDF to the email listed on the document. Now I am a bit worried because it is a strange request. I will recheck the instruction with someone, again.

Lastly, I have just paid the 18 euros with the PDF version of the form I couldn't find online. They have numerous other forms posted online, though not the one we foreigners need. Conspiracy? Don't laugh. You've not gone though this heart-wrenching process nor dealt with Spanish bureaucracy. Those who have will agree. There maybe the hand out there trying to thwart our progress to becoming s valuable part of EU society. So I digress. I printed out the THREE copies of the form. One for bank, one for ministry, one for me. Filled them out. Hopefully chose the correct use of the form. Three times. And took it in. You can use any bank. They didn't even ask for original form. He stamped all of them. Took my money. I took my two copies and left. Easy. Too easy? I squirm on the way out. What happened here? How could this be so easy? Well, I think it was. And I know it was because of the 18 euros. Cash is king!

So next: 3 passport size photos

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment