Many novice runners make the mistake of running too much, too fast, too soon, at too quick pace. Those who make this mistake blindly assume that "more is better" when it comes to running training. Nevertheless, adopting this training approach can only lead to discomfort, and a myriad of common overuse running injuries, such as shin splints, runner's knee, ITB syndrome, or even a burnout.
What you need to do is start simple and train smartly. One way to train smart is to read up on running and/or talk to someone more knowledgable. Or, if i do say so, read this blog. If you're new into running or haven't run in a while, you should begin gently and increase training intensity and mileage incrementally. And I do mean incrementally. Go slow! In fact, you may need to start off with a walk-run-walk program, and then progress gradually into running. I wholeheartedly recommend this program for new runners. Even I use it from time to time when I am on a long run. Either to slow my pace down or enjoy the proverbial roses or just a need to rest.
Start slow, go slow, run smart, run longer. There is no other way.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment