28 February 2012

Kicking the World's Ass!

So today's schedule called for a hard workout to be sandwiched by two easy runs.  I took it to heart.  I planned on doing a 10k at 5 mins or less.  I knew I needed to power through and push myself so I could really work my sore muscles.  And I did.

The problem was my route was longer than I had intended.  I went off towards Lago in Casa de Campo, which is a 12k circuit around and back home.  So how, I added a bit more.  I ended up completing nearly 16k at 5ish a km.

Now, the really scary thing is that I am NOT more sore than I am currently.  I thought after Sunday I'd still be aching and sore.  Yes, I am.  But also able to cover those kilometers in a FAST pace.  Everytime I looked down at my watch I couldn't believe the speed with which I was completing my run.  I kept trying to rein it in.

I gave up trying to do that around 11k.  I needed to get home and shower and prep for classes in the afternoon.  So I pushed it for 3k straight and dropped by pace to 4mins.  I though I'd blow a lung or something, but didn't.  It wasn't until my final sharp hill climb that I rose to 6mins and even that seemed to be fast for the incline.

All told, when I climbed my 5 floors to the shower, I felt STRONG!  Stronger than I have in a long long time.

I may pay for it tomorrow.  My recovery run may be a true one, at something like 6mins a km.  But right now, as I get up from my second coffee, and head off to my evening classes, I feel like I could double right now.  I could run another 12+ tomorrow.  Hell, bring me a half and I will it.

This feeling...  THIS...  is why I do what I do.  Get up before the sun, long after it is gone, in the rain, in the heat, in the dust...  I run for this invincible feeling.  I can take on the world, and I can win.

So come on world, I am waiting to kick your ass!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment