In no particular order, here some of the reasons why I love running...
1. Food. I was taught to finish everything on your plate. And 35 years later, I am devoted to eating everything that is set before me. Running allows me to feel that gnawing hunger two or three hours after a run and feel no guilt in filling it up with lots of food. Topped off by a thick piece of brownie and coffee.
2. Skimpy clothes/tight clothes. I know that wearing spandex may look a bit riducilaous to the average non athletic person, but they feel amazing when you can pull it off. It's one reason you see so many women wearing them instead of pants here in Madrid. And when the weather gets warm, I love my shorts and tshirts look. My girlfriend loves how I look before I set out for a run in long bare legs and even likes it when I come home sweaty.
3. Outdoors. Nothing beats Nature. I love a morning run in the cold winter air or trail runs in the heat of the summer. Your feet making the first footprints on a snowy day or stopping for water as you look down from a mountain ridge. Running outside on the open road allows you to take in all of your surroundings, and that is well worth the price of admission.
4. Freedom. When I am out on the road, I am free. Nothing matters but putting one foot in front of the other. From the moment I my watch starts, I am thinking of nothing but my run and where I am in it. It's a peacefulness that eludes me in any other part of my life. Only here, when I am running, do I have freedom.
No comments:
Post a Comment