12 August 2011

MT9

So today was a hard day. I had to cover 13 km. But I only got 12. I'm brutally HUNGOVER. It's a wonder I was able to do that distance.

So I pulled myself out of bed at 7 am. Ugh. I had something like 3 hours of sleep and a belly full of cheap burritos and rum. But I made it up. I staggered to the bathroom. All spend more time in there with GI issues after a late night. Get my gear on. Mentally decide where I am going to run and why. I have 13 to cover, so I can choose between puente Segovia or Lago run. I decide the Lago run because there's more water fountains along the route. And let's be frank, I was going to need them. I had tried to hydrate myself out of a hangover last night before bed, but that hadn't worked. And I've been waking up an hour before runs, so I can drink water before, and that didn't work either. So water on route was the key.

All and all, it was a good run. Not a fast one. But a formidable show of willpower! My girlfriend was impressed when I returned and she had reawaken to find me. She couldn't believe I had the energy to get out and run the distance. Now she has seen me run longer under a comhangover, but I don't think she'd be along for the long night.

I have to admit I felt good about the performance. Mostly because it felt to me like a simulation of how I will feel around kilometer 35. Exhausted and worn down. Good practice I was telling myself as I panted up the last 4 km to my home.

So the moral of story....?

Don't drink and run? Hardly. Just know your body and what punishment it can take. And how much willpower do you have. Is it worth it? I know a bunch of people who would never have bothered to get up in the morning and gone for the run. But I had a schedule. Throw in a lot of dedication. And I was out the door, shaking my foggy head and wishing for it to be over.

But I did it.

Tomorrow: 9.5 (which I think will end up being Tuesday's bridge route.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment