20 June 2011

Over the Hill Runner Part 1

In running, as in life, moderation truly is the key. And when you're a 40 and over runner, it becomes essential. Moderation should take the form of rest and/or recovery days. I recommend at least one rest day a week for fit, competitive runners. For those of us over 40, I need more rest. As some say, to allow the training to soak into our bones. As of this writing I am resting twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays, with a light recovery run on Sunday. I will of course modify this routine in the coming weeks to reflect a deeper commitment to marathon training. But I will keep resting and using more low level effort days. As an older runner, I must be aware of the fact that I need to length my rest days so that I can continue my evolution as a runner. I want to run for decades more, and so moderation coupled with rest.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment