07 April 2012

Terrible Twos

If you’ve ever had to veer off the road in a desperate search for a public restroom (or a large bush), then you know that GI issues can make any good run go bad. I've had one too many in my life. Now, why does this happen? Blood travels away from the digestive tract to support working muscles when you run, proper digestion becomes stunted, which can lead to potential discomfort.

 

The solution to avoiding impromptu bathroom breaks on he run is hydration. Dehydration increases the incidence of GI complaints by 50 percent. Furthermore, eating large meals the day before an important run or race is to be avoided. Also avoid high-fiber foods and sugar substitutes, while reducing your intake of protein and fat.

 

If GI issues hit, don’t panic. I generally slow down a bit and drink, to make sure I'm not dehydrated. For long long runs in the middle of nowhere, I recommend carrying some toilet paper and map out possible pit stops.

 

Still for me it's best solved by eating properly and hydrating the day before a long run or big race.

No comments:

Post a Comment