I've read that one of the beautiful thing about running is that it's cumulative. The miles you ran years ago are still in your legs and thus, with every NEW run, you can only build strength. Now, the biggest hurdle for most people is in the early stages of training where you feel as though you’ll never get into shape. I've recently heard this complaint. It is a normal feeling. Extending your runs from a 5 to 10 minute run to 60 minutes simply takes patience. Patience, I repeat. In running there is a domino effect. It comes from consistency. Your willingness to get out the door everyday is huge. When I heard my gf complain about her inability to improve, I told her it's "a big victory just getting out the door." "You do that consistently and I promise you," I explained. "You will be doing 45 minute runs and they will feel easier than the 10-minute jogs you're doing now." The body will adapt to any stress you place on it. I've put a lot of stress on my body in the last three months and it's strengthening up nicely. But, and this is the KEY, you don’t expect instant results. You can't expect things to change overnight or even in eight weeks. But it will. Be patient.
No comments:
Post a Comment