03 March 2012

Good and Bad of Music

In no particular order, I've heard and read some pros on the subject....

-Music can sometimes make running feel easier. Studies find that music reduces your perception of how hard you are running by about 10 percent.

- Music also elevates positive aspects of mood such as excitement and happiness, and reduces negative aspects such as tension, fatigue, and confusion

And now the bad....

-One big problem, and a personal bad point, is that listening to music can remove you from the other sounds that running produces, such as breathing and footstrike, which are essential cues. They give you feedback on your effort.

 

-Running while listening to music also removes you from the environment you’re in, and that is part of running's best aspect.

-Also it can be tremendously unsafe, as you may not hear a car or person behind you.

-Runners can become dependent on music. Eventually, you can lose a sense of what might be truly motivating to you, such as the energized feeling you get on the run.

 

 

My final conclusion is one of moderation. I didn't use my iPod today and enjoyed my 5k recovery run in the park. But Sunday, as I tackle 30k long run, I will strap it on and use music to ease my pain during the run. But that being said, I won't use my iPod until I get into the park, as I have to navigate Madrid's traffic to get there. I have slowly altered my perception of music on my runs but have not given up on what decades ago brought me to running: the peace and tranquility of it. And the response of my body to its environment. Lastly, my spirit, which feels both His pleasure and His sight during my runs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment