12 July 2011

Mental Benefits of Running

The psychological benefits of running rival the physical benefits. I find that as a stress release it is one of the best possible avenues to do, and definitely better than what most of my fellow Americans do. That being said, running is a great way to improve your body and mind, and it is a favorite activity of many Americans.

Here are some of the top psychological benefits of running...


Stress Relief
As already mentioned, many people, like myself, choose running as a way to relieve day-to-day stress. Running can help you work out problems by giving you uninterrupted time to think. Some of my best ideas for blogging or fiction writing or simple teaching ideas have come from the mediative moments I find in running. It can also help you get rid of anger or other negative feelings. Exercise is one of the top ways recommended by professionals to relieve stress.

Anxiety Relief
Anxiety is often treated with medication, but many people choose to try exercise before resorting to prescription drugs. Running has an antidepressant effect on runners, reducing anxiety and increasing serotonin levels. I have been told numerous times, when I am in a depressed state, to just go run. It does help.

Runner's High
Running releases endorphins that make you feel good. Running can give you a feeling of happiness that lasts for hours. But I wouldn't go so far as to say I've felt a high during a run. I've perhaps felt a euphoric feeling for a few minutes during a run, but I wouldn't call this a "high". Still many people swear to having felt it and even more people run in search of it. I just go with the wave of endorphins that drown you when you run and continue to wash over you when you're done.

Confidence
An obvious psychological benefit of running is confidence. Confidence may result from running if you've lost a lot of weight or toned your body. You may notice that your clothes fit better and that your body is tighter. One shouldn't scoff at the confidence building feeling of running. You will feel better about yourself. Your self-imagine will increase. You will see a marked difference in your body before you began running and after you began running. Revel in it.

Reach Goals
Finishing long runs or reaching goals builds confidence and helps you get used to success. And sometimes getting used to success, as i have written about, is itself an accomplishment. Fear of success is something to be overcome. Each time you complete a training run you will feel a sense of accomplishment. And your fear will decrease.

Fight Addiction
As a recovering smoker I can attest to the assistance of running in my fight. I have been able to substitute one addiction for another. And though some may see it as dangerous, I feel that running is the healthier of the two. Running can help in the fight against the addiction of drugs and alcohol. Many therapists suggest exercise, such as running, as a way to combat addiction. In my case, it has worked. I haven't had a smoke in nearly two years. And, even though I live in a smoke friendly country, with smoking friends, I have had no craving in nearly a year.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment