23 June 2011

5 Running Tips

Reduce stiffness.
Feelings of tightness are common for runners, but a simple warmup strategy can help reduce stiffness. Now, you don't need to nor should you, stretch out that stiffness BEFORE running. I jog for 10 minutes before my run; the jog heats up my muscles. Muscles stretch best when they’re warmed up – so immediately following my jog, I engage in some stretching. I found a nice spot with an above waist fence and shade. I take 10-15 minutes stretching, depending on my stiffness. Then, I’m ready for my run!

Eliminate blisters.
Blisters are likely the result of loose shoes or bad socks. You need to make sure that your sneakers fit tightly and that the laces go through every eyelet. If your heel is moving inside the sneaker, then the sneaker is too loose. Furthermore I believe the use of a running-specific socks is essential. I find that socks even more than shoes are important. I exclusively use moist-wicking socks that don’t bunch up or slip while running.

Increasing motivation.
A good way to increase motivation is to create a public goal and thereby forming your accountability to it. If you announce to friends and family on Facebook, for example, that you’ll be running a 5k, then it may help get out the door and on the roads. Even better, invite people to join you at the 5k, or your training runs. Some people, though not me, find motivation in a good playlist.

Prevent joint pain.
The easiest way to reduce your risk of joint pain (or how I call it "bone pain") is to replace your running sneakers regularly. Running sneakers typically last 400 – 500 miles. The website Coolrunning has, as part of its running log, a feature to track miles used on particular shoes.

Stop chaffing.
Many runners experience chaffing of the inner thighs due to the friction of skin-on-skin contact. Some get chaffing on their nipples. Both areas are painful when you get into the shower. Believe me on this, people. To reduce chaffing, you can make use of any number of creams or powders. Bodyglide is the one I've most experience with and can attest to its usefulness. Even using petroleum jelly can help. If the problem persists, it may be worthwhile to invest in a pair of lycra or spandex shorts or pants to wear under your running clothes. Though I've yet to go this route as I thought it always look a bit ridiculous. Still ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder, I used to put bandaids on my nipples before long runs during the summer in the USA (humidity is not such a problem in Madrid, thank god.)

See you on the roads!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment