08 April 2012

Why Do You Do It?!

Twice in the past week, I've been asked if I am training for the Madrid marathon or maybe one of the other ones around Europe. My answer with a laugh is: NO.

I do this for fun, for myself. This my playtime!

And so why else do I do this wonderful thing? Well here's a few...

I do this to know that I can wake up in the morning and run more, before work, than my coworkers WALK in a week or more.

I do this to know, that given enough sleep and fuel, I can run a marathon any day, any where, any time! And sooner, it will be 50k.

I do this to see the look on your face when I say I don't CARE about races or competition.

I do this to feel the earth under my feet and the air in my lungs for four hours.

I do this to run by the Madrid cafes covered in sweat and dirt and grim, and smile at their stunned looks.

I do this because it's more a way of life than a hobby or sport.

I do this to smile at the 35k mark and know that there is nothing I can't do.

I do this for the 1000 calories daily lost, which means I don't ever think about food. I eat.

I do this because everything looks better during and after a run. The world is alive.

I do this every day because I CAN do this. And why the hell don't you!?

No comments:

Post a Comment