09 April 2012

Scary Workout

I've read and been told that the final miles of a marathon, or any races for that matter, can pose a real physical and mental barrier. I can honestly say that I've felt this on my long runs over 30k. So the solution apparently is: break your fear of hitting the wall by doing tempo runs and long runs back-to-back.

 

In a word... Terrifying.

 

Here's what they say you should construct your workout:

 

Do a tempo run at half-marathon or slightly faster pace on Saturday, and a long run at a comfortable, steady pace on Sunday. Those targeting 5-K and 10-K should run a two- to four-mile tempo run, followed by a four- to eight-mile long run. Half and full marathoners should do five to six miles at tempo, followed by an 11- to 13-mile (half-marathon) or 20- to 22-mile (marathon) long run.

 

A SIX mile tempo run on Saturday AND a 22 mile long run on Sunday! I shudder, seriously, I'm shaking, with a lot of fear here. What is my Monday morning work day going to be like after that beast of a weekend? Already I can barely get out of bed at 7am for my Monday class. Throw on an asskicking Saturday and you might not be able to wake me come Monday.

 

That being said. I am all for this workout. I want it. I want that pain. I want that exhaustion. I want to know how that weekend feels and how I will be able to deal with it on Monday.

 

There's great beauty in misery.

 

So I need to find the right weekend. One where I don't need to get up on Monday for my 9 am class. Now thankfully, that that might happen. Students cancel because of business all the time. And Spain has a holiday practically every week, so there's that possibility.

 

My only real concern is summer time is coming up. Tempo runs in the summer heat are NOT fun! Especially here in Madrid. The temp can reach the 40s C and that is not a good time to be out.

 

Well I will keep you posted as to the time and place of my wrestling this beast to its knees. Though it may not be anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment