01 March 2012

Post Hills

So after 2 cups of coffee and an afternoon of canceled classes, I am reviewing my workout. I took a leisurely, for me, run down to parque oeste. It was around 1.5 km. I stretched out. Psyched myself up. And started my set.

I raced up the first three without much of a strain. My watch told me they were all .8 kilometers. And I was making them in 32 seconds. I stayed in that ball park for the remaining runs of the set. They began to really burn after my seventh. I was grunting up and panting down. I had jogged the first four down to the base, but after that I was walking them. I was taking as long as possible to reoxygenize or breath like a dying man.

So I picked a fairly isolated hill. But even then there were people walking their dogs up and down the hill. Most got out of the way when I came barreling up, but one woman just didn't bother with her dog. Who decided I was nice enough to come up to and got a heel in his chin as I flew by. I felt sorry for him but I continued running up the hill. And cursed his owner.

At my last two runs, I was hurting. I felt deep aches in my quads and my left arch had produced a strange pain in it. And I need to get home to shower, go to work, etc. So I digger deep. Deeper. And ran. I sprinted up the hill for the last two of the set at 7 seconds. Sweat just gushing off my face like someone had dumped water on me. This in weather that most spaniards were still in tights. I was stripped down to shirt and shirts, as I KNEW I was going to sweat a lot today.

As I finished my set. The thought of home and a warm shower beckoned me. I want this to be over. But I still had to run home. I decided with some fear to do a 2 km route home. As soon as I left the hill, my thighs shook like a bad nightmare. I couldn't remember ever feeling my skin shake like that, and it was a bit freaky. But I pushed it out of my head, along with the fatigue in my legs. And set off around the parque.

The sun shining down on me. I rounded my last straight away. A smile on my face. I had one more hill. And I was smiling. I marveled at myself. I was feeling almost euphoric. I took off up my street's hill. Faster than I had intended, but I didn't care. Hot scolding water awaited. And coffee. I smiled more. Not easy when you're panting for breath. Then my street levels off. It's flat until the door. I am grinning like a fool. Everywhere around me people are bundled up in clothes. Winter still exists for them. For me. Spring is here. And I am stronger than ever. Ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment